Saturday 28 May 2011

Becoming The Uberman - Day 5: “The Curse of The Uberman”

This is an on-going quest for uberness. If you haven't read any of my previous posts, you will have no idea what I'm talking about. Go here to see all the days gone by so far.

---

Firstly - no I am not stuck in the dream world, and two – I am not dead. I know I haven’t updated my blog in quite a while but theres no need to send me emails asking if I'm ok (I like it really), its completely uneccessary from a professional standpoint (it makes me feel cool too). Moving on. Days 5, 6 and 7 have been left unfinished in the draft bay for a while now, but I managed to pluck up the energy to finish all three in one night - LIKE A BOSS.

I thought I’d talk about what I actually do to fill my time, rather than blabber about my daily happenings. So I’ve calculated and complied all the stuff I’ve done so far over the past 5 days.  Take a deep breath cause’ its kinda… well, you’ll see:


-        Read 3 books.
-        Watched 6 films (12 hours).
-         Watched 23 episodes (15 hours/1 season) of Stargate SG-1.
-        Watched 35 episodes (12 hours/2 seasons) of American Dad.
-        Staring (roughly 4 hours) at wall/sky.
-        Written (for blog alone) 8802 words.
-        Entirely re-gutted my XNA engine.
-        Read 10 Wikipedia pages.
-        Watched about 5 hours of TV (still boring as hell).
-        Facebook (i.e DOING NOTHING) for 8-10 hours.
-        Watched 138 YouTube videos.
-        Ran roughly 6 miles.
-        Walked roughly 2 miles.
-        Tidied my bed (couch) 42 times.
-        Brushed my teeth 27 times.
-        Washed my face 49 times.
-        Tidied my room 7 times.
-        Snoozed my alarms 40 times.


That about sums it up. But you know what the funny thing is? I’m still bored. All of the above are just regular lazy activities/routines for me. In all honesty I hadn’t realized how much time I spent (or wasted) doing such random shit, they’re all spread out so thinly over these long-ass 22 hour days you hardly seem to notice. It’s only when you sit and properly recollect as to what you’ve done in the last 12 hours or so you begin to slowly discover how little of a life you actually have left. A might as well start dedicating my existence to some random unknown MMO and eat lard as my main source of food.

Trying to remember previous events however is infact pretty cool. By never really having long continuous resting periods each day, the brain doesn’t seem to have time to filter and empty unnecessary thoughts and details within memory, meaning that I’m able to remember most of the events that have happened over the past week or so - just without any real grasp of exactly when it happened. Of course the effects of sleep deprivation counter-balances this effect, but it’s bizarre being able to remember what one did 4 days ago with surprising accuracy. I guess it’s the result of no longer having a “reset button” every night, and because of this time becomes continuous, almost ever-flowing, and the way you think morphs to fit this new pattern. Anyways, enough hippy shit. Onwards.

I see no flaw in logic. Talking Dinosaur is now God.
Another fascinating aspect I’ve noticed recently is what I like to call “looping”. If for example I am programming (or any other task for that matter) and it’s time for my nap, I withdraw for a quick 20 minutes then promptly resume coding. Now I’m sure you’re wondering why this seems so interesting. But when you  do this multiple times throughout the entire day it can get a little bit weird, freakish if anything. As long as I have these 20 minute intervals every 4 hours I can keep working on a single task until Hell freezes over.  It’s an odd feeling knowing that I can work quite literally ‘forever’ on any particular task. What’s also pretty strange is every time I nap (especially if I achieve REM sleep while napping) I wake up often feeling a slight jolt of energy, this often refreshes my interest in said task and boredom ceases in becoming a terrifying adversary.

SUMMARY /SIDE EFFECTS:
  • Still very sleep deprived. At certain points in the day I feel refreshed but in others I feel like I need an axe to the face to wake me up.
  •    Increase in time. Described above.
  •   Infinite ‘looping’ moments if I stick to one task. Described above.
  •   REM sleep during naps are becoming more frequent.
  • I still look like a zombie.
  •  It takes me  4+ hours to write a single blog post because its so darn difficult to write when you’re this tired.
  •  Must. Keep. Writing.
  •    ….
  •   Ok, Im done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wow, the fact that you're even reading this pre-comment message makes me so happy inside.